History

historyAssumption University originated from Assumption Commercial College in 1969 as an autonomous Higher Education Institution under the name of Assumption Faculty of Business. In 1972, with the approval of the Ministry of Education, it was officially established as Assumption Business Administration College or ABAC. After the accreditation by the Ministry of University Affairs in 1975, ABAC was granted a new status as “Assumption University” in 1990.

The University is a non-profit institution administered by the Brothers of St Gabriel, a worldwide Catholic Religious Order, founded in France in 1705 by St. Louis Marie de Montfort, devoted to education and philanthropic activities. The Congregation has been operating many educational institutions in Thailand since 1901.

In the academic year 1986, the Faculty of Arts officially started the first two programs: Business English and Business French. One year later, Business Chinese was added and was followed by Business Japanese in 1988.

In 1999, the University Senate approved the merger between the faculty of Humanities and the Faculty of Arts. Thus the Faculty of Arts became the second biggest faculty of the university, boasting a truly international faculty body of over 20 nationalities. The faculty consists of 5 departments in charge of the major programs:

  • Department of Business English
  • Department of Business French 
  • Department of Business Chinese
  • Department of Business Japanese
  • Department of Chinese for Economy and Trade

One department is in charge of the foundation program:

  • Department of General Education